wtorek, 22 marca 2011

First Week in Poland

My first week in Poland has been varried. I have tried to write a bit during the last few days but I have either been interupted or have been too exhausted to write. So I'll include some of my impressions as snippets of my writing and reflections.
15th March
My first week so far has been quite relaxing. I haven't formally started work yet so I've had some time to do some sight-seeing and to spend quality time with family and friends. I've also had a chance to learn a bit about my culture and to emerge myself in the Polish language. I've been loving it. It still doesn't feel like I've moved here. It still feels like I'm on holidays, probably because I've been doing some touristy things. It's actually quite fun.
The other day I went to the Museum of Fryderyk Chopin. Chopin was one of the most famous composers, piantists and music teachers of the Romanic music that the world has seen to date. Many people have heard of Chopin and his music but not many people know that he was of Polish and French descent, interesting combination if you ask me.
Polish people are very proud of the rich heritage of music that Chopin brought during the 17th Century and of the impact that his music is still having on the world today.
Previous to my visit to the museum I have only heard snippets of Chopin's music but haven't had a chance to appreciate the art that he brought into this world. But as I sat there in the museum, in specially-made sound caves, I came to appreciate the artistic nature of Chopin's music. It amazed me how Chopin was able to encapsulate the essence of a nation, the people and the customs in a piece of music that is so beautiful and so heartful. As I listened to Poloneise I felt like the music spoke of the simple life of Polish people, their joyous outlook and willingness to celebrate life, the cheekiness of my people and so many elements that are so familiar to me yet are so hard to describe. In a way, I guess I felt like the music defined me --the person I am and the person that I want to be.
After that visit I vowed that I want to go to a concert. My friend told me that during summer they have out-door concerts in the Łazienki Park in Warszaw. So the plan is to go there and see one of those concerts. Like I said it's truely beautiful.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz